Sorry for the radio silence for the past few days. A whole lot of unexpected work cropped up for me this week in the form of two job offers, both of which require sample work and testing. Of course, I was having issues with CS4 Flash, which is horrible and annoying, so I’ve been running around like a crazy person all week, trying to find a computer to borrow until I figured out that the issue was that I wasn’t using CS3. Anyway, that’s more or less solved now, and I have a bit more progress on the commission I started at the convention last weekend.
As you can see, I have since inked the drawing and began colouring it. I used waterproof India ink (usually Windsor and Newton brand), a G-nib quill and a crow quill to ink the lines in. I like to use quills over Micron pens not only because the colour of the ink is more true, but also because I think you have way more control over the line and its weight, which makes the image look better when you’re finished. I’ve started colouring with Copic markers, as per usual for this kind of picture. That’s a pretty straightforward process, I think. I would say my one trick of the trade is using pale blues and purples for shading, especially in the skin, and then layering up. I am also weird and like to work from dark to light with these markers, but mostly because I find it easier to blend them that way. Anyway, hope you like this so far!